Sunday 30 October 2016

Papercraft Prototype V1

After making papercraft samples in Rhino the next step was to choose one to import into Illustrator and then print out to fold into its shape. This of course is a protoype to see what works with the object and what doesn't.


I first printed out my templates on regular paper to see if they were big enough and easy to fold. I found that they were too small and weren't going to be easily folded, so I scaled up my templates.


The core of my object in template form ready to be cut and scored.


Template cut out.


Then folded.


Some secondary pieces of my object cut and beginning to be folded.


All of the pieces of my object folded and glued, the next step is assembly.


My object in its final form.



Overall I was fairly happy with how my prototype worked out, however I did come across some challenges and there are some things about my object that I would change. Firstly as I mentioned above I originally had to scale up my templates as they were going to be too hard to fold on cardstock at a small size. There were certain tabs on the "cap" of my rectangular spikes that I didn't need and were just getting in the way when folding and glueing. I did try two different methods of tabs for the rectangles and found one method better that the other. Another challenge was glueing, my object is a little hard to handle when it comes to glueing it together. I needed to add more glue to certain parts of my object to make sure it could support itself.

1 comment:

  1. This came out great! Would you consider cutting square holes in each side of the center "box" - that way the "pillars" could actually set into them a bit?

    ReplyDelete